Asphalt Plant Operator/Supervisor
With the recent expansion of our asphalt operations we are currently seeking a highly motivated, responsible individual to perform operational and supervisory duties. This position is full-time, seasonal (April – November). If you have a minimum of three years’ in asphalt plant operations or an equivalent amount of practical experience in other plant-type operations and/or mechanical processes, we want to hear from you.
Based in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Taranis has built a solid reputation by providing industry-leading performance to clients in a variety of sectors. Taranis offers a wide range of services including road building, heavy construction, excavation, maintenance and demolition.
The plant operator/supervisor is considered the key leader in managing the day-to-day operations of the asphalt plant and is accountable for achieving business results. You will be expected to ensure overall operational excellence, including production, quality control/assurance, energy efficiency, maintenance, capital projects, environmental concerns, health and safety issues and employee training and development. You will oversee all operations of the asphalt plant including the manufacturing of hot mix asphalt and the plant loadout process.
- Directly a/o indirectly operate plant controls to properly manufacture hot mix, warm mix and/or cold mix asphalt to specification
- Work with plant employees in production and distribution of product
- Make periodic inspections of plant units to assure proper functioning
- Assist in maintenance and repairs of the plant equipment and facilities as needed
- Mix asphalt batches by operating switches and controls, controlling the heat and amount of aggregate and asphalt
- Dump asphalt mixes through chute into trucks
- Oversee and operate when necessary a front end loader and other equipment to unload, stockpile and feed aggregates
- Build and maintain a strong functional team through effective training, coaching, team building and succession planning
- Ensure flexibility in staffing and scheduling by cross-training employees
- Complete and communicate calculations and reports for plant metrics such as man hours, product inventory, process codes, etc.
- Ensure safety, environmental and regulatory compliance for plant operations and products
- Maintain inventory, materials, information systems and plant equipment
- Oversee quality assurance and quality control compliance
- Produce creative solutions and use appropriate problem solving techniques to resolve plant issues such as formulation trouble, employee conflicts, material shortages and process breakdowns
- Keep the plant clean and in a well-organized manner
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Proven leadership and management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Physical - ability to stand for long periods of time, lift and carry up to 50 pounds and climb ladders
- Able to work extended hours if needed
- Competitive compensation package
Anticipated Start Date
Qualified applicants may submit their resume via
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or In Person – 1473 Rosslyn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 6W1
- Fax - 807.475.5456
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Taranis is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.
Join the Taranis Team! – Apply today.