Tack Truck Operator
Based in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Taranis has built a solid reputation by providing industry-leading performance to clients in a variety of sectors. Taranis offers a wide range of services including road building, heavy construction, excavation, maintenance and demolition.
The job of Tack Truck Operator is to efficiently operate an asphalt distributor and maintain an acceptable level of workmanship and productivity to support the asphalt paving and base crews. This is achieved by spraying various asphalt-based tack coats before paving operations to help asphalt adhere to the road structure.
Key Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following:)
- Operate the tack truck and other equipment in a safe and appropriate manner
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment and report any mechanical or safety issues to Supervisors
- Load tack truck oil from tank
- Fill asphalt & burner tanks, clean & set spray bars and clean excess asphalt from tanks
- Understand and follow directions from Supervisors as to required work area & emulsion distribution rates. Provide sample for quality control
- Before heating oil, ensure all valves are in the off position, oil completely covers the heating pipes and truck controls are set for proper circulation & ventilation
- Constantly monitor temperature, heat oil within confines of recommended temperature
- Spray oil in designated areas
- Monitor vehicle performance, fluid levels and mechanical fitness
- Ensure a solid understanding of and comply with the principles of the company’s Code of Ethics
- Must examine situations in light of the principles of the Code of Ethics
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company safety program and encourage all employees, subcontractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections
- Work with Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite and ensure proper procedures are carried out according the company’s safety program
- Work in a safe, responsible manner
- Participate as a vital team member and contribute towards the success of the organization. This may involve the provision of other technical and administrative support as required
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas
- Collaborate with project teams on other special initiatives as required
Education, Training and Certifications
- High school diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Valid DZ license
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience within the road construction industry
- Experience operating a tack truck would be an asset
- Understanding of tack truck
- Road construction materials, processes and industry requirements
- Equipment controls and electronics
- Out of town travel is required
- Overtime as required
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50lbs on a regular basis
- Use of personal protective equipment as required
- Must comply with company drug and alcohol testing requirements
- Seasonal, Full-Time
- $22.00 - $27.00/hr., dependent on experience
- Out of town accommodations and Live Out Allowance (L.O.A.)
Anticipated Start Date
Qualified applicants may submit their resume via
- Email – email@example.com
- Mail or In Person – 1473 Rosslyn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 6W1
- Fax - 807.475.5456
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Taranis is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.
Join the Taranis Team! – Apply today.